History of St. Olaf Catholic Church
The founding of St. Olaf Parish coincided with the closure of the rural parish, St. Mary's of Preble. Father Aloys Quillin, resident pastor of Assumption Parish, Canton, and pastor of St. Mary's Parish, would become the pastor of the new parish in the town of Mabel.
Father Quillin chose the name of St. Olaf, King of Norway, as the patron saint of the parish, since Mabel and the surrounding area are highly Norwegian. With the establishment of the new parish went to work, digging the basement, cutting trees for lumber, doing the masonry and carpentry work, sewing altar linens and painting. The basement church was ready for the first Mass on November 28, 1954. There were 22 families and about 80 individual parishioners. The upper church was built in 1957-1958.
In June of 1999, a major addition to the church was built. The area of the parish hall in the basement was doubled ad a gathering space and handicapped accessibility were added.
The pastors who succeeded Father Quillin were Fathers Robert Sheehan, Clayton Haberman, Harold Gavin, William Magee, Daniel Tierney, Charles Quinn, Jerome Verdick, Thomas Hargersheimer, James Hennessey, Richard Loomis, Richard Dernek, Andrew Kreidermacher, Charles Collins, Gregory Havel, Steven Peterson, Donald Schmitz, Shawn Haremza, Jim Von Tobel, R. Paul Heiting, Joseph Hennen, Matt Fasnacht, and Father Stephen Abaukaka, our present pastor.